Leighton Asia recently welcomed the Association of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Specialists (Hong Kong) to the Tseung Kwan O - Lam Tin Tunnel (TKO-LTT) project site. The team heard about the knowledge and technology we applied to overcome the technical and logistic challenges during construction, while upholding the highest safety standards.
Attendees were provided with an introduction to the project followed by a site walk to the Lam Tin Interchange, during which the Leighton Asia team discussed how we applied our expertise to deliver the works.
The TKO-LTT project included construction of:
- the main tunnel of the TKO-LTT
- tunnel portal facilities and ventilation building at Tseung Kwan O
- slip roads, branch tunnels and viaducts
- Lam Tin Interchange
- tunnel portal facilities, ventilation building and administration building at Kwun Tong
- and implementation of the associated building, civil, structural, marine, electrical and mechanical, landscaping and environmental protection and mitigation works.
These activities occurred in a limited space, surrounded by a densely populated environment.
Since its opening in December 2022, the TKO-LTT has alleviated traffic congestion in the Kwun Tong district, at an existing tunnel in Tseung Kwan O, as well as at other major roads in the eastern Kowloon.
The direct route between the Town Centre and the Eastern Harbour Crossing has reduced the travelling distance from 7km to 4km and shortened the journey time by approximately 20 minutes during peak hours.