At Leighton Asia, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive (D&I) workplace that welcomes, attracts, develops and retains talent.
It is important to build more diverse leadership because it leads to better outcomes for business, enhances industry sustainability, and inspires young women into careers where they make an impact.
Capitalising on the momentum generated by the Australian Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong’s industry-led ‘Built to Last – Championing Gender Equality and Diversity in the Built Environment’ in 2021, we are pleased to be a key support to this D&I series again to ‘deep dive’ into the strategies and successful implementation of D&I best practices.
The 2021 first-of-its-kind research into gender diversity in the Built Environment in Hong Kong found:
- senior management roles across the sector are predominantly held by men
- women have ambition to progress their careers
- there are challenges balancing family and career
- a mindset change will help to support change.
A 2021 event featuring a panel of industry leaders shared insights on barriers and solutions on the matter.
With our senior management’s support and the effort of our Women in Construction and Engineering Group (WOICE), Leighton Asia has implemented various pioneering initiatives to set up women for success and attract women to join the construction industry:
- Active collaborations with different industry bodies and non-government organisations to nurture young talent
- Setting up women for success by building positive pathways and an internal support network – Women in Construction and Engineering (WOICE) for our people
- Providing 16 weeks paid maternity and 2 weeks paid paternity leave
- Providing flexibility for our staff to make alternative work arrangements to look after their families
- Supporting menstrual equity by making sustainable period care products available in toilets across our Hong Kong sites and offices
- Launch the first female-fit trousers for all of our construction projects in Hong Kong
Throughout our journey, we are listening, learning, and working together to ensure D&I is embedded in our company culture.
We can all be champions for diverse and inclusive workplaces. Let’s work together to shape our industry for the better.
More on our work in D&I.