Leighton Asia’s Columbarium and Garden of Remembrance project has recently achieved the Building Environmental Assessment Method (BEAM) Plus Platinum rating, the highest level under the Hong Kong Green Building Council’s BEAM scheme.
BEAM Plus is Hong Kong’s leading initiative to assess the environmental performance of a building in terms of its energy and resource efficiency, waste minimisation, reduced impact on the community and use of environmentally sustainable products.
The key initiatives implemented by the project, throughout the design, procurement and construction processes, included the following:
- Retention or transplantation of existing trees
- Adoption of ozone-friendly refrigerant for air-conditioning systems
- Installation of carbon filters for exhaust air systems
- Provision of accessible spaces/facilities for the physically disabled
- Procurement of regionally manufactured materials
- Installation of energy efficient equipment
- Provision of waste management facilities and processes during construction
This award is an excellent achievement which reflects the commitment of all parties involved in the project to the delivery of outstanding building facilities with a strong focus on sustainable development.